Dual Booting Ubuntu Linux with XP tutorial

by oneafrikan on June 15, 2005

I’m really starting to enjoy Red Hat (as a server for LAMP dev stuff), installed on an old 486 that I don’t need, using a KVM switch. I want to experiment with using Linux as a desktop replacement for Windows at home as well, and to do that I’m thinking of setting up Ubuntu Linux on my Dell laptop with a dualboot, sharing with WinXP.

So far, the best tutorial on how to do this IMHO is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com//WindowsDualBootHowTo: so does anyone have any experience with this, or any tutorials that they’ve used that they don’t mind sharing? Any help to make this as painless as possible would be cool ;-)

Simple, with ubuntu there is no need to dual boot. But for those that want to you will find plenty of info on http://www.ubuntuguide.org and ubuntu forums & wiki.

by Paul Audney on June 15, 2005 at 5:45 am. Reply #

Thanks Paul – are you using ubuntu now, or have you used it before?
Is it that good? ;-)

I’m also seriously considering getting a Mac to work on, as it has a BSD backbone, and you’re able to do local development on it in an environment that would mimic a live server better than a Windows box running WAMP. But they are dear, so may have to wait for Christmas for that one!!

by Gareth Knight on June 15, 2005 at 6:31 am. Reply #

PS – http://www.ubuntuguide.org/ is super cool – thanks for that!!

by Gareth Knight on June 15, 2005 at 6:32 am. Reply #

well i want to install smb so that my ubuntu can see windows pcs on a network

by sammytee on June 24, 2005 at 1:44 am. Reply #

Yea, that’s almost the most important thing isn’t it. When I installed Red Hat, it found my windows network fairly easily, and I was able to see shared docs etc etc – I would imagine that for Ubuntu it’s roughly the same?

by Gareth Knight on June 24, 2005 at 5:31 am. Reply #

I have made the switch. I am going to now setup dual boot because there are a few security apps that I need for windows. I have found ubuntu the best for working with my windows network.

by fatmtbiker on August 30, 2006 at 6:55 am. Reply #

Yea, me too! Get’s better every release!

by Gareth Knight on August 31, 2006 at 10:58 am. Reply #

Nice guide!

by Elliott on May 10, 2007 at 8:58 pm. Reply #

installing linux on a dell will lead to compadibility issues because of broadcom chips

by hunter on July 17, 2007 at 6:15 pm. Reply #

I’m gonna doit now, on my new PC. I already run Windows XP, and I have an old CD (April 2006) version of Ubuntu, which I’m gonna install now.

Wish me luck… :D

by Gauhar on February 11, 2008 at 6:11 pm. Reply #

Gauhar – why not use the latest cd to do it?

Have you tried the live cd? Have you tried the live cd for other distros?

by Jamie on February 18, 2008 at 11:23 pm. Reply #

Hi Jamie,

I got hold of the latest Ubuntu 8.10 and I did manage to install it…

But the installation did not have my NVidia graphics drivers and the visual was not good. I tried the option “Install New hardware” where Ubuntu tried to install the drivers from the online repository… but it failed due to some reason. It could find the drivers… but just couldn’t download’em.

So, I have reverted back to Windows XP. My first attempt was a failure…

But I have read about the upcoming release of Ubuntu 9.04 and will try it out once released.

Cheers

by Gauhar on January 15, 2009 at 6:53 am. Reply #

Weird it can’t install the drivers…. keep us posted ;-)

by Gareth Knight on January 25, 2009 at 12:25 pm. Reply #

i am using ubuntu 8.10 and xp in dual boot. everything was going on well until recently i started facing some problem with xp . i now want to reinstall xp without deleting ubuntu . can any one help.

by deepak on March 28, 2009 at 4:00 am. Reply #

@deepak: you need to format the partition you have XP on, and then re-install it on that same partition…. Use GParted in Ubuntu to format.

Lemme know if that’s not enough ;-)

by Gareth Knight on March 30, 2009 at 11:58 am. Reply #