Sync Linux data with a Pocket PC

by oneafrikan on July 11, 2005

_ Sync Linux data with a Pocket PC

The ability to sync Palm-based devices with Linux has existed for quite a while. However, as the popularity of Windows-based Pocket PCs increases, there’s a growing need to be able to sync data from a computer running Linux with the Pocket PC–without using Windows.

I’ve got an iPAQ 4150, which syncs with Outlook, and I think it’s the shitzniss.

I’ve looked at Evolution, and really liked what I saw, but the problem of being able to sync with the iPAQ is a serious one, as the iPAQ is a real productivity device for me.

If I can make my iPAQ sync with Evolution, on an Ubuntu box, then I’d be a really happy camper, and I think the decision to switch to Ubuntu at home would be an easier less painful one…

Anyone got any suggestions, experiences, tips, ideas that they can share?

SynCE is available… i havent tried it yet but i’m about to. try it here, the website has great details and links to other websites along the same lines. as far as i’ve been able to find, this is the only real solution. at which i’m very surprised as popular as the ipaq is!
–william

by william on July 22, 2005 at 2:21 pm. Reply #

oops i forgot the link http://synce.sourceforge.net/synce/index.php

by william on July 22, 2005 at 2:21 pm. Reply #

Thanks William ;-)

Yea, the iPAQ is pretty popular, so it seems like an obvious choise as a PIM. From what I’ve found online as well, it seems the Palm is more popular though…

When you do try it, let us know how it goes!

by Gareth Knight on July 25, 2005 at 1:24 am. Reply #

Enjoy http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=30936

by Pablo J. on August 28, 2005 at 6:43 pm. Reply #

Thanks Pablo – that’s a good thread to watch ;-)

Have you tried it?

by Gareth Knight on August 28, 2005 at 6:55 pm. Reply #

Hi,
I’ve been using Ubuntu for 6 months and use Evolution and a Dell Axim as Pocket PC. Once you’ve solved the Pb with the Firewall, Synce works fine. But I have an issue though:

Synce only syncs Addresses, Calendar and tasks. But not your “Notes” and not your E_mail. That is a big limitation for me when I travel as I like to read my Emails “off-line”.

Far less important, unlike Outlook, Evolution waits to have checked all your mailboxes and downloaded all your messages before showing them on the screen. If you have a lot of messages or a slow connection , it is annoying. But not essential.

by Alek on February 20, 2007 at 9:21 am. Reply #

Perhaps this might help:

by Robin Gower on January 15, 2008 at 12:43 pm. Reply #

SynCE is great if it works for you, but a huge pain in the arse to get working (I gave up after a week of messing around with it, it was all working apart from the actual sync)

If your laptop and iPAQ both have internet access, I would recommend using a funambol server, which is free.

You can install a client on your PPC, and an extension so it will sync with Evolution, or Thunderbird. Take a look at

I use it to sync with work (XP) box, my home (suse), and my iPAQ, and its great. I leave my laptop on at home, make a change on my work PC or PDA, and its already updated when I get home!

by Jamie on February 15, 2008 at 6:35 pm. Reply #