What’s the deal with WordPress.com Akismet API keys?

by oneafrikan on February 4, 2006

OK, so I set up a new blog for a mate on my server, using a shiny new WP install of course, then I go to the plugins page to activate the much vaunted Akismet plugin, but find out that I have to get an API key at WordPress.com before I can use it…

So what gives?

I’ve got no problem at all signing up for a WP.com account, but surely that’s wasteful since once I’ve signed up, I’m just going to use it on my box, and leave the WP.com account to stagnate… why not just let folks get their API key from WP.com?

I’m not sure if I have the whole story – perhaps there’s an option that says “I have my blog somewhere else” but still allows you to get your API key – so I could be wrong, but this kinda doesn’t make sense?

What do you think?

I have the same exactly problem. This FAQ at the askimet site says that ‘Yes, thats the point!’ (ie we need a wp.com id to use askimet).
Wtf?

by Tarun on February 9, 2006 at 8:09 am. Reply #

Exactly – ‘cos having a WP.com account also means that you get a WP.com hosted blog right? but I don’t want one ‘cos I already have my own server – so are they happy for me to sign up for an account and just leave it be? I wouldn’t be… ;-)

by Gareth Knight on February 9, 2006 at 1:43 pm. Reply #

[…] Soon as I turn off “you have to be logged in to comment” so that anyone can comment, I start getting hit by the spammers! Anyone got any great anti-spam measures (plugins, custom code?)for WP2.0, or do you all just use “you have to be logged in to comment”? I’m not sure that Akismet is possible?, so any other ideas would be cool… wordpress, spam, anti-spam […]

by oneafrikan.com » Damn comment spammers on April 26, 2006 at 4:12 pm. Reply #

Yes, very frustrating and useless.

by Christopher A. Wheeler on May 2, 2006 at 8:17 pm. Reply #

Yup… At this stage I think it’s kinda short sighted and not the “killer feature” that will make people start using WordPress.com… but I guess we’ll see how things play out… ;-)

by Gareth Knight on May 3, 2006 at 9:06 am. Reply #

You have the option (now, maybe? I don’t recall seeing this when I irrevocably signed up before) of just getting a username, which comes with an API key, but without a blog.

by Alex on July 12, 2007 at 9:22 pm. Reply #