Why do you love South Africa?

by oneafrikan on February 15, 2006

_ Why do you love South Africa? ilovesouthafrica.org (beta)

Why are South Africans so patriotic? What makes them so passionate about their country? Why do the hairs on the back of their neck stand up?

It’s a simple question, yet everyone has their own answer, and all for very different reasons. Some people have a sense of freedom that was missing for a long time, some people simply like the scenery, whilst others feel that it’s a sense of home that you just can’t replace with another. Some people are more political and enjoy the new democracy, some people love it because of the business opportunity, and others just like the lifestyle which they know is unique. It’s an interesting question, and we’d really appreciate it if you’d share your reason with us.

Check it out if you’re a Saffa or if you’re interested in commenting… The videos for download are pretty good too, and I’ve put the podcast on my iPod ;-)

Hi,

I was born in South Africa, but now I live abroad, although being away 13 years South Africa still is my home, my land. It is where I belong. Crime keeps away, but the love I feel for my country consumes every inch of soul. The scenery is breathtkaking, its are people amazing, the lifestyle enticing.

God bless South Africa.

by Mario Costa on March 9, 2006 at 9:36 am. Reply #

I love South Africa because thats the only palce where i really felt alive

by dravin on March 31, 2006 at 12:59 pm. Reply #

from someone recently returned to sa from the uk, this says it all:

“It is not given to every generation to be a part of creation.” Thabo Mbeki

that man is a legend.

by Sean on July 21, 2006 at 3:21 pm. Reply #

That’s a good one ;-)

by Gareth Knight on July 25, 2006 at 12:23 pm. Reply #

So many whites are leaving South Africa. What are your reasons for staying?

by David on December 13, 2006 at 1:31 pm. Reply #

Ummm… I’m based in the UK now, so I guess I’m one of those that has left (for now, with plans to go back)… ;-)

by Gareth Knight on December 13, 2006 at 11:50 pm. Reply #

i love South Africa cause South Africa in in my blood, i am South Africa and it is me, i was born there and i will die there, its the only place where your heart beats in the rythem of the sunset and the light of the moon burns into the back of your eyes so that you will never forget it, a place where the national rugby team can ignite a nation in a fan frenzy a place that i can drink castle and eat biltong to my hearts content, a place where i have loved and lost

South Africa has my soul and i allow it to keep my soul

every time the wind blows it blows over us all, we are all South African we are alike

by ystervark on December 30, 2006 at 12:31 pm. Reply #

A place where you can sip on a castle, eat biltong, and get butchered by a nigger with a machete and never see it in the news the next day. Just another inconvenient statistic easily erased.

by Reality Hurts on October 7, 2007 at 4:40 am. Reply #

Hi,

I love south africa for the diverse cultures and amazing wild life and Democracy. Theres nothing like waking up in the morning the birds whistling or the rain of a sub tropical nature. I also love the voices in the background screaming ‘broom’ or ‘mealies.’ zulu dancing espcially Zulu street guitar music still lingers in my head till today and i constantly have them on my ipod in London and watch youtube videos of that. I remember eating putu and mass with my maid and i still remember the clover Milk van delivering milk or that great orange juice at my door. I love the smiles especially when someone whole heartdly greets you even if they dont know you. The beaches are amazing and i remember eating bunny chows and having braai’s as a little girl at the beach and throwing breadcrumbs so that the pigeons or seagulls ate them.I also remember those ecentric riskshaw rides in Durban and running to the cart to buy candyfloss those chocolate sticks and toffee apple whilst the huge towers of holiday inn and Marine parade gazed at me. I love Indian humour especially from chatsworth every one makes fun out of that.

I loved watching soccer matches when i lived in SA it was always Kaizer chiefs vs the Orlando pirates or the Mamlondi sundowns.i loved when the commentators screamed ladummmma

I also still remember the Sharks matches that my friends and i use to go too standing proudly with our Sharks T Shirts or if we watched a south african game eating Biltong.

I love SA for their TV Programs i remember Kideo, Wielie Walie, Pumpkin Patch cedric the crow, Featherfoot farm and that zulu or xhosa kids program where the duck blew out the candle and went to bed in a bath, Woza weekend, seve de laan, isidingo,generations that all brings a sense of nostalgia.

We have great leaders that where born there I remember that day clearly when Nelson Mandela was realized from prison. I remember my family saying we are free. i remember screaming and getting star struck has Nelson Mandela hussled by in his car in Pietermaritzburg when he did come to visit.

Its a place of dreams and beauty hululuwe game reserve is world class with the rhino’s and lions, giraffes etc it feels like heaven so far fetched from the rat race i currently live.

God blessed South Africa and still does.

by yuraisha chavan on October 10, 2008 at 2:37 am. Reply #

the HEAT, the warm rain, the smell of petrol on a hot day in a garage forecourt, the dust, the fast but fabulous sunsets, the sounds, the music, the wierd and wonderful insects and animals, being warm, ice cold drinks on hot days, and when they’re not being idiots and trying to kill each other – the people. I grew up in Africa, lived in England for the last 22 years, and miss Africa constantly…every time I return its like being home….and yet, I dont go back to live as can see no future for me or my family, its like the whole continent is on a self-destructive track and csnt get off…so much potential and opportunity being squandered, for no gain. The colonoalists sought to build and improve and so much passiosn and effort was poured into Africa, it is a real shame to see it being destroyed and so much good denigrated and forgotten for the sake of much smaller political gain….. the African dignity has all gone for the sake of past wrongs,and instead of building a future, it is reduced to the begging bowl and never ending fighting and killing….Africa has yet to grow up.

by Mike on November 2, 2008 at 4:16 pm. Reply #

Maybe if the colonists had left AFRICA alone it would have grown up long long ago!!!

by karen on February 6, 2009 at 7:55 pm. Reply #

S.A is gone! gone over the edge, due to people who are corrupt as the rest of Africa, it will go like zim, *****************************************[edited] lets all work together for a better future, they way it should have been done. People forget to thank the colonials for what they put into the country, zuma would not be cruzing around now in a BMW or living in a huge house, lets face it he would have been in a traditional Zulu hut he would not even make any ranks as he has not earned respect and his mode of transport would be 2 feet and a heart beat, lets face it the old school zulus have respect culture an understanding, today’s major youth in s.a all want the material goods without working for it and it’s going the same way in the west, everyone just want to take, sadly this is only a theory and none of it is true, south Africa is a great place for the world cup, we have great power stations and capable workers to host it, also to say the best safety, you can leave a BM sitting running leave the door open an no one will take it, except me . . .im off to watch the British and Irish lions play the bokke! man i love south africa bokke all the way.. . . . . ..

by Richard on June 3, 2009 at 3:42 pm. Reply #