Gmail and Outlook – SMTP server not responding

by oneafrikan on March 18, 2006

I’ve been using GMail with the same settings for ages now, and it’s never been a problem until yesterday and today – seems that I can’t connect to the SMTP server on ports 25 nor 465 – anyone having the same problem? or know what’s up?

Update:
Error number is “0x800CCC7D” and it looks like other folk have been having the same problem with Outlook 2003… Like most of them it seems, I’ve been using GMail with Outlook for ages now, so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t work. I’ve just added port 465 to the Windows Firewall exception list and that doesn’t seem to have done anything. Time to get drastic and delete, then add the account again…

And that seems to have cleared it up… ;-)

Hat tip: Daggle

Clear SSL Cache for Outlook and Outlook Express

1. Close the e-mail program, Outlook or Outlook Express.
2. Open Internet Explorer. The icon for this program looks like this:
3. From the menu bar on top, click Tools, and click Internet Options…
4. This will open the Internet Options settings box.
5. At the top of this box, click Content.
6. In the Content screen, click Clear SSL State.
7. You may now reopen the e-mail program.
I hope it will help you.
Regards,
K.SivaKumar.

by K.SivaKumar on July 13, 2006 at 5:50 am. Reply #

Thanks!! ;-)

by Gareth Knight on July 13, 2006 at 8:51 am. Reply #

You are my king!
I’ve been looking for a solution for weeks now,
This works gr8!

by Sorero on November 24, 2006 at 1:31 pm. Reply #

You’re welcome ;-)

by Gareth Knight on November 27, 2006 at 11:14 pm. Reply #

Wow!
I find the solution for my problem!
Thanks!

by Henry on March 9, 2007 at 3:59 pm. Reply #

THANK YOU!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!
THANK YOU!!!!!!

by Victoria on April 12, 2007 at 2:10 pm. Reply #

YAY thank you K.SivaKumar for resolving this Outlook sending email smtp problem!!! and to whoever’s blog this is. i am very happy.

by Kerry on July 6, 2007 at 10:58 am. Reply #

thanks! that’s a good fix. my next option is to switch people over to IMAP

by andrew on November 24, 2007 at 12:39 am. Reply #

K.SivaKumar you are a genius! That works a treat. My only concern is the thousands of other people having the same issue and this site sadly doesn’t make it to the FIRST one. Maybe this comment will help.

MY 800CCC7D ERROR PROBLEM IN OUTLOOK FIXED.

Thanks!

by gefail on March 20, 2008 at 11:51 am. Reply #

Just my luck — it didn’t work for me — and it’s driving me crazy. Anyone have any other suggestions, pls email me.

Thanks,

Joe

by Joe on August 11, 2008 at 4:59 pm. Reply #

just stumbled on this post.
i’ve been trying to push all my mails from hotmail to gmail thru outlook.

i setup gmail (IMAP/SMTP) and hotmail(HTTP) and all my hotmail emails have been downloaded. now i need to transfers them to the GMail folder i created.

whenever i try to copy or drag an email from Hotmail folder to GMail folder, i get the following error:

“Can’t move this item. The connection to the server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action”

Please Note:
i’m doing this thru my work (corporate) network so i’m not sure if that has anything to do with it. like i said, i’m getting my work emails and hotmail emails as well so i know i’m connected to the server (at least the corporate server :)

any help?

thanks!

by xut on August 25, 2008 at 7:01 pm. Reply #

The ‘Clear SSL cache’ didn’t work for me.

But this did…

Goto the email account setup dialog
MORE SETTINGS > ADVANCED tab

Incoming (IMAP) server: imap.gmail.com (SSL port: 993)
Outgoing (SMTP) server: smtp.gmail.com (SSL port: 587)

Now, uncheck then check the box under Outgoing server settings that says: “The server requires an SSL-secured connection”

Also, make sure to check the box that says save my IMAP & SMTP passwords.

Basically, what apears to be happening is that outlook 2002 (outlook xp) is caching some setting, but isn’t clearing it when an option/entry has been changed/updated.

Could be a password typo at one point, setting change, “something”.

The only way that seems to work is to basically kick-start it be toggling settings back and forth till it see’s the correct entry.

Welcome to Microsoft.

by Ug on November 6, 2008 at 9:01 pm. Reply #

Thank a lot. 3 years ago from this tip and keeping working :)
(y)