IBM Thinkpad T42p blue screen of death agony

by oneafrikan on May 2, 2006

So I got my Thinkpad back from IBM today, and it’s totally FUBAR. I was relly excited up until the first blue screen of death, then it just got worse and worse.

WTF!!?

The support guy was really helpful, but to be honest from my experiences with hardware, Windows and tech support in general, there is a small chance that my machine will ever be back to it’s nippy self again without a complete re-build of the machine (and I really don’t want that). And more to the point, I think that IBM have lost humble me as an advocate (they’ve had at least 3 machines purchased as a result of recommendations I’ve made to clients and friends), unless they can pull something serious out of the bag.

I feel violated. ;-(

Dude. I’m a fellow saffer – came across your website the other day, added it to my RSS digger.

I can only say that nothing sucks worse than getting a new toy (read business tool) and it BSODs on you.

I work for IBM so may I suggest that you use the emergency repair faclity (blue button) and redeploy Windows plus all apps? There should be a recovery CD if it’s not already on a hidden partition on the internal HDD.

ciao
Rory

by Rory on May 2, 2006 at 5:21 pm. Reply #

Hi Rory

Thanks for the heads up dude ;-) Done the same for your site. Live in Wimbledon Park, so probably pretty close to you!

Yup – BSOD is the worst – no going back from there.

Thanks for the suggestion:
Does redeploying Windows plus all apps just repair damaged Windows files, and keep the current apps that are installed intact? Is that what the guys at IBM support would do anyways? Have you done that before and if so, what are the general results like?

I do have a hidden partition, so I’m sure it’s there.

Thanks ;-)

by Gareth Knight on May 2, 2006 at 6:09 pm. Reply #

If u use the recovery CD / blue button it will refresh your entire system so any of yer own apps and data on the disk will be a gonner. Well worth a fresh start if you’re having issues though. Time to get our your USB disk and start copying that precious data?

An alternative (which I adopt even with my IBM work machine) is to build it myself, from scratch. I know about every bit of software running on it and I KNOW it’s reliable so when I am doing a customer presentation, billy gates from Redmond has no power to BSOD my day ;-)

l8r
R

by Rory on May 2, 2006 at 7:10 pm. Reply #

Oh and while we’re on the on the topic of thinkers, check this site out and let me know “what side you’re on”

by Rory on May 2, 2006 at 7:14 pm. Reply #

Hey Rory

Nope, I did dump everything onto a big external disk so should be fine – I’m more worried about the down time that it will take me to get it back up to speed, and frankly, I’m not sure I understand why I should be doing this when I spent the money I did – this is IBM’s problem. To me, the machine is now tainted.

I’m interested in completely re-building myself, but then am a bit reticent ‘cos of the hidden partition (I can’t use Partition Magic to delete it at the moment) and the actual re-install options when using the Blue Buttion?

Does it allow you to pick and choose what Windows and IBM re-installs, or does it just restore it to the state I received it in from the shop. The disks that I have – what do they allow you to do? Not having a Windows XP Pro installation disk is a real problem now. Why can’t they just make things simple?

This kinda crap makes me think that I should just say to hell with it and stick Ubuntu on the machine!!!

by Gareth Knight on May 3, 2006 at 9:15 am. Reply #

I’m definitely on the Titanium side… ;-)

by Gareth Knight on May 3, 2006 at 9:18 am. Reply #

I agree, a build of any sort is time consuming but I am the first to admit to being a control freak and wanting to make sure my machine is under my full control.

Using the blue button and rebuilding will get the machine back to the state it was in before you opened the box.

I voted black. There are so many titanium look alikes out there already, the black is kinda unique.

We’ll see what Lenovo do soon though!

by Rory on May 4, 2006 at 2:16 pm. Reply #

Yup – full control is the only control as far as I’m concerned ;-)

Thanks for that – I’d rather get it done by IBM then, for obvious reasons. Still want to know why it came back with Windows problems though – it really should _NOT_have at all.

Black!? – I figured that the more it looks like a Mac, the more I can satisfy my Mac lust.

Yea – Lenovo have a lot to live up to! ;-)

by Gareth Knight on May 4, 2006 at 8:50 pm. Reply #