List item bullets disappear in IE

by oneafrikan on May 4, 2006

I’m working on a show/hide, menu system using bullets, and what’s happening is that when I show a menu block on page load, the list item custom bullets all look fine, but then when I open up another menu block that was hidden, only the first list item bullet is showing, with the rest blank.

Pretty damn frustrating ‘cos no combination of margins, wrapper divs, nested list items or background images / custom bullet items fixes this. I think it may just be something to do with IE and showing / hiding elements… Of course, this all works as planned and coded in FF…

So far, following the links on this Google search haven’t yielded much. Throw me a ‘frikkin bone here!

We all know that IE doesn’t play nicely, but unfortunately IE has the most market share, so you’ve just gotta do what you gotta do…

Update:
I’ve uploaded the working code here for you to dissect and play around with:
Any ideas or suggestions?

I wish I could help, buddy.

I had the same problem,,, but with me it was just random disappearance, I thought ah well, the loss of that detail wasn’t that crucial; have you tried it on ie7?

if not you can send me the link, and I will try to see what it looks like on ie7; i am thinking we might as well start design ‘ahead’; i’d hate to have to go through my entire code (css) to remove redundant css styles;

alas; when you do find the solution; please do share,,, :)

by lebogang nkoane on May 4, 2006 at 1:34 pm. Reply #

Thanks dude ;-)

Problem I’m having is that the layout is designed, with attention to detail, and it’s just not working the way it should. So bloody frustrating!

Will post any solutions I find here and in the code section.

by Gareth Knight on May 4, 2006 at 2:49 pm. Reply #

Gareth — i’m not seeing a problem with my version of IE (6.0.2900.2180.xpxp_sp2_rtm.040503-2158). I keep comparing FF (1.5.0.3) / IE & see all the functionality, custom icon, etc. seeming to be correct. i can send you some screen caps if you want, let me know…GBG

by Geoff Gill on May 4, 2006 at 7:13 pm. Reply #

Geoff – that is totally weird.
My IE version is:
6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519
which seems to be different from yours, but I’m not sure by how much or in what way… Am updating IE now to check…

Would be awesome if you could send some screengrabs – thanks man!!

by Gareth Knight on May 4, 2006 at 7:18 pm. Reply #

And it works in IE 6.0.2800.1106 That’s Win98/SP1. :)

by Jonathan Snook on May 4, 2006 at 8:50 pm. Reply #

Hey Jonathan!! How are ya man?

No ways – WTF?

I’m beginning to think that this is an isolated type thing and maybe I’ve been worrying to much ;-) But, ‘cos I can’t test accross loads of diff IE versions, I can’t be sure what it will look like everywhere… ;-(

by Gareth Knight on May 4, 2006 at 9:09 pm. Reply #

Hey Gareth — slight correction on the IE version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158. Screen caps are on the way !! ;-)

by Geoff Gill on May 5, 2006 at 2:21 pm. Reply #

I have you same version as you (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519) and it looks fine, either that, I’m not doing the right thing to break it :)

by Norman on May 19, 2006 at 11:24 am. Reply #

Hey Norm

Yea, could be something that I was doing my side – anyways, sorted now ;-)

Thanks dude

by Gareth Knight on May 24, 2006 at 1:18 pm. Reply #

I had a similar problem. I fixed it by adding the style “overflow: visible” to all the elements that weren’t showing up.

by Greg on April 10, 2007 at 5:58 pm. Reply #