Actively looking for South African / African writers and bloggers

by oneafrikan on August 17, 2006

I’m *still* throwing this into the wind to see where the seeds fall, so here goes:

I’m looking to get in touch with anyone who is African or South African (or for that matter interested in matters relating to Africa / South Africa) that is interested in writing and/or blogging on matters relating to Africa/South Africa, especially if they’re not already doing so for technical reasons (as in, they’re not sure how it all works and so they’ve not really got started).

I’m looking for people from anywhere, so they don’t have to physically be in Africa, and I’m also interested in whether they are passionate and want to talk about stuff that is important to them. All the technical bits I can teach, so don’t let that be a limiting factor.

Also, if you’re already a writer, and/or have your own blog and you’re talking about Africa / South Africa, then please do get in touch.

Similarly, if you read and comment on this blog regular like, then please get in touch as well – I’ll probably mail you in the coming weeks but it would be good to get a heads up of your interest anyways.

If you know anyone that fits the above descriptions, then please forward this post to them!

Cool – here’s to the interweb and all it’s magicality ;-)

mmmm, I’m South African, and might be interested…. :-) Although I do write on my own blog, I don’t really get into the nitty gritty about SA. I just don’t feel its the right place for it. I do however, have alot to say about it, as I’m proudly SA!

Let me know what’s cooking in your pot, Gareth!

by JBagley on July 27, 2006 at 6:29 am. Reply #

hey….
South African in London…and from what I can gather from reading your blog, living around your neck of the woods…
Although I dont post on my blog as much as I’d like to, I am keen for whatever you have up your sleeve.
Not too up to date on the political or sport situation in SA, but, funnily enough after reading Jason’s post on the web-standards situation in our homeland, it has become a point of interest for me.

by Dave on July 27, 2006 at 3:03 pm. Reply #

hi gareth,

interested and intrigued, although not sure how much time I can commit

I have, however, forwarded your post by antiquated means (email ;) ) to a few friends to see if anyone else is interested

do you have any more details on what kind of a tack you’re taking, or is that hush-hush? *is* there a specific tack, or is it open-ended (i.e. dependent on the writer)?

on a barely related tangent, have you seen Richard E Grant‘s Wah-Wah? – *excellent* near-autobiographical film that includes colonial issues (the independence of Swaziland) amongst the human drama

looking forward to hearing more!

d@vid

by d@vid on July 28, 2006 at 10:06 am. Reply #

Yo, whassup.

South African, living in Newcastle, as you know. I don’t really blog much about SA on my personal blog (it’s more techie, to be honest), so keen to get involved.

Shout when you have more to share dude

by Meri on July 28, 2006 at 6:47 pm. Reply #

I are here ready for to skryf! Just reveal the mystery soon. Am most intriqued.

by Robert on July 31, 2006 at 1:45 pm. Reply #

count me in! Open Box employee, regular blogger, love to get involved

by moonflake on August 2, 2006 at 4:26 am. Reply #

Hey

I am a South African based in Glasgow, Scotland. I blog a lot about politics, both SA and international.

by Walton on August 2, 2006 at 4:16 pm. Reply #

Hey All

Thanks for all your responses!

Things have been fairly hectic around here of late (http://www.oneafrikan.com/archives/2006/08/18/the-going-on-holiday-post-updater-and-the-next-few-months/), so I haven’t been able to give this as much admin time as I would have liked, but I have been sponsoring some research time, and that’s probably the most important.

When I return from my holiday, I’ll get back to you all with what’s up – 2 pieces of good news really, that I hope to share with you, and something concrete to work with. It’s only a week, so not really a big deal! Have just been feeling a little guilty for not getting back to you sooner.

Anyways – speak soon, and please spread the word if you can – I hope you’re gonna love it ;-)

g

by Gareth Knight on August 18, 2006 at 3:18 am. Reply #

I’m interested! Let me know what it’s all about.

by Biddles on August 28, 2006 at 10:55 am. Reply #

Thanks Biddles – will do ;-)

by Gareth Knight on August 31, 2006 at 10:59 am. Reply #

I’m a Sefrikan in Japan. I have two blogs, but neither of them are really about SA…little bits here and there. Some of my friends would be very interested though: http://www.internafrica.org ; http://www.houseit.blogspot.com ; http://www.despoticktock.blogsp@ot.com

by Dylan Lawson Brown on September 13, 2006 at 6:16 am. Reply #

Hey Dylan

Thanks for the heads up – know about the InternAfrica and Houseit blogs so they are already on the list of people to contact.

We’re not really looking for people specifically to talk about Africa – only two criteria are that you’re either:
1. African
2. talking about Africa (could be in NY for all intents and purposes)…

Lemme know if you’re still keen…

Regards
Gareth

by Gareth Knight on September 13, 2006 at 10:21 pm. Reply #

Just started blogging, interested in recording experiences of 50 something trying to do it in London. If that helps – contact by all means.

by Afinlon on May 5, 2007 at 3:38 pm. Reply #

Hi Gareth

I know it’s a while since this post was commented on, so I’m not sure when and if this project has progressed. I found this post today. I started blogging earlier this year, and I’m from Durban in South Africa. I don’t really post too much about South Africa on my personal blog, but I would be keen in participating in a South African blog project or whatever you are suggesting as I represent at least some part of our population. Let me know.

nessie