by oneafrikan on March 11, 2008
Spent a lot of today working, so not as much detail as yesterday ;-)
Scaling boot camp was pretty interesting and some new ideas coming out of that. Key take homes were:
- understand what has to happen in order to go into “scaling mode” – what are the red flags?
- don’t scale until you have to
- know what your key pain points are
- languages don’t scale, infrastructure/architecture does
- bring business into the discussion so they understand the implications of having to scale
Managing creative environments by some of the guys at Adaptive Path was a nice breath of fresh air.
Finding parallels with what we’re doing at Kindo was challenging, but I think I’ve got a few ideas that make sense.
Key take homes were around:
- giving everyone on your team a sense of ownership through empowering them
- getting everyone in your team to take on all your functions so they are empathetic to what others do on a daily basis
- keeping things fresh through rotation
- staying out of long drawn out debates – it’s either yes, or no; and if there’s indecision, then discussion can take place
This panel was kinda fortuitous and relevant for me, ‘cos some of the stuff I was dealing with today brought some of the above points home quite clearly. Am reflecting on this, but fairly sure I could have done things differently… ;-(
Surviving Startup Mistakes from Mike and Saul of FreshBooks was super super engaging. It’s always nice to meet people who are willing to talk you through their mistakes so you’re able to learn from them, and to meet people that are dealing with the same or similar issues that you are…
Key take homes for me were around work/life balance, and persistence.
Sounds like they’ve got a great product, so suggest taking a look – wish them well and hope they grow into a SAS powerhouse ;-) Am also hoping to do a panel with Mike next year – lets see how my panel tomorrow goes first…